If you aren’t already, I highly recommend using a swatch organizer for the following reasons:
- It helps you remember which fabric you already have! (no more forgetting about that fabric that gets pushed to the back corner of your shelf!
- It’s so much easier looking through a swatch binder than it is to dig through your actual fabric when deciding what project to do next.
- You can add notes which will help you keep track of what the fabric’s contents are and how many yards/meters you have left. Why do we need to know what our fabric is made of? Well, you don’t NEED to. But have you ever discovered a fabric that you loved- maybe because of how comfortable it was to wear or the way it hung from your body? If you know what the contents are, it will be much easier to find very similar fabric, with the same cotton to lycra ratio (for example) in the future. (it also makes online fabric shopping SO much easier!)
- You can also add notes about care instructions and if you’ve pre-washed it already. If you don’t use your fabric for a long time after purchasing it, chances are you won’t remember if you pre-washed it when it comes time to use it.
- If you keep your fabric in multiple locations (maybe some in a bin, some on a shelf, etc), you can add a note for where you placed each fabric.
If you’re still not convinced, just give it a try and you’ll love it!